Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hump Day

Where the heck did that term ever come from? Well let's take a look and see......

The mid-day of the week is named for the Norse God, Odin. He was also known as Woden or Wotan. Unlike many of the other days of the week, this day did not correspond roughly with the Roman designation for the day. (The Roman's named Wednesday for the messenger God - Mercury - In Romanian, the day is still known as miercuri). The early Scandanavians and Germans believed that Odin was the chief God of Asgard and as such deserved to have a day of the week named for him. The Anglo-Saxons used the word, Wodnesdaeg.
Wednesday is often referred to as "hump day" because of its position as the middle day of the work week. If the work week were a hill. Then Wednesday would be the crest. It is all down hill from there. (Whether the down hill ride is a coast or a descent into a swamp is left to the individual.)
Only one holiday typically recurs yearly upon Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is the official beginning of lent. It is called "Ash" Wednesday because since the 400's it has been the day upon which religious penitent's foreheads are marked with ash. It is a reminder of the mortal condition of the flesh - that we are all dust. This day is a variable date dependent on the date which easter falls. See Sunday to find out how this date is

Ok this is what I found....it seems like poor old Wednesday being the middle of a seven day week is the downslide...the homerun to the weekend per se. Well I don't care what you call it, just let Friday come quick!!

I talked to one of my gf today and we are going to embark on Salsa dancing lessons. NOW why would I want to do this you might wonder? Well being that I am losing weight, exercising and toning up somewhat I thought it would be great to try new things, all forms of dance have always excited me and learning new things has also, so I'm game and we are going. Hopefully I can find a pair of shoes that will work for this occasion since the knee still gives me problems now and again...I actually have a great pair of strappy sandals that would do perfectly but I'm not sure how I feel in them....they have about a 2 1/2" heel...we'll see.

I have made up my mind that I'm trying out new things....darn it! Rubber stamping has gotten me addicted, I make a few cards every weekend! gah and the expense, we all got together and went to a morroccan restaurant..What an interesting experience that was eating with our hands and everything...The male and female belly dancers made the evening. So onto something new...I can't wait and I'm very excited...or maybe you all couldn't tell that.

I am also looking into a personal trainer. YIKES, I am really getting very serious about this whole fitness and exercise stuff!! that is totally a good thing though in my book. My flabby arms need help....as for the rest of the body, it's not falling far behind it..

So off to the phone book for exercise clubs and then we'll see what happen

ciao

No comments: