Sunday, January 25, 2009

OH and my date group

I was reading a blog of a fellow WLS buddy who had her surgery the same month I did. She posted this a bit ago so I'm a little late but wanted to bring some interesting facts to light that I agree with 100%. She has lost and done a tremendous job of losing and maintaining, but she said year two was filled with an eye opening experience when the scale showed her a 25 lb weight gain. Yes folks, it can happen. Year one is 80% tool, 20% user, year two is more like a 50-50 split since your body is now becoming accustomed to this new way of life, year three is a 20% tool, 80% user and this is not to say that you can't be 100% in control, but it is a whole thing about change of life and eating habits. If you are the one who picks up crackers or a handful of chips every time you walk through the kitchen and at the end of the month show a 5lb gain and you wonder why, maybe it's time to go back to the basics and start journaling. I attend support group on a regular basis. It's more like a bitch group to me on some months, because these people who are smart, intelligent and funny have no clue that mindless munching of the wrong thing is going to lead to weight gain. I'm talking about full out grazing and that is what they are doing. Geez people have you not listened to anything, anyone has to say on this subject. It has to change PERMANENTLY!! I am no saint, I still munch and I drink....I'm not going to tell you what is right or wrong, but as soon as I am feeling a bit slouchy or thick in the middle, well the basics come out and I cut back on the indulgences and ramp up the water and protein and veggies. I mean c'mon have you learned nothing on your journey! I find sometimes people are so inept when it comes to what is right and wrong. This is not going to happen without your input people....so when I get asked, how do you stay so thin, what is your secret...HELLO there is no secret, I follow the guidelines, I eat healthy, I exercise, drink my water, take my vitamins and the rest just happens.....

I guess my ambivalence for this type of person is a little short on the tooth today so to speak, I received a call from yet another person, who is struggling. I mean two years out and they have only lost 50 or 60 lb. There is a good 100+ still to lose, so when I look at the phone like you've grown the third eye look back at me and say I know, I'm not following the program, because we all know if you were the weight loss would be greater. This particular person is a doll, but not structured in life, can eat at least double than I can at a single sitting and the choices...welll let's just say nothing at all like I eat. Fries, cheeseburgers laiden with goo, fatty meats, lots of potatoes, carb heaven. I suggested a fish or chicken dish, oh no I don't care for that type of food....I was asked to dinner tonight, which I politely declined because I know the conversation would go there....and with my current mood, there would include a few quesitonable remarks from me.

So folks, it is a tool, it's proven, it's not a fix all, or a fast fix. You have to do your part for it to work properly long term....in other words think long and hard about what you want, long term....because this is FOREVER...and I am not writing this to make anyone mad or pissed at me, just letting it out...

1 comment:

Susy said...

i think that was well said and right on... you are correct and you still deside what you put into your mouth.

:)